Tuesday, November 2, 2010

toddler yoga pants tutorial

A while back I said I'd post a tutorial for toddler yoga pants.  Well here ya go!

I started with a black knit dress (so I wouldn't have to hem the pants of course!)

1.  Trace a pair of pants that fit your child well.  I used leggings and added a slight flare at the bottom.  If you look really really close you might see my chalk marks.  Make sure you trace the front side, and also the back side.  (You don't need to allow for a hem here since you will attach a waistband later.)
2.  Measure your child's waist, keeping in mind that the pant waist should fit snugly.  Take the waist measurement and add a seam allowance (I use a 1/2" seam so I add 1" to the waist measurement.)  Cut out a rectangle:  waist measurement by the doubled height of band.  Confused yet?  My waistband was about 13"x7". 

You should have 2 front pieces, 2 back pieces and the waistband rectangle. 
3.  Sew pant legs together as you would any other pair of pants.  I match a front and back at the inseam and sew, ending up with two sets.

 4.  Match right sides together at the crotch.  Front on front and back on back.  And sew around the crotch.
5.  Rearrange the pants so that the fronts are in front.  They are beginning to look like real pants!  Sew the side seams, right sides together.   
6.  Flip right side out and you have pants! 

 7.  For the waistband, join the ends and sew.  Than fold the band in half and iron.  You should have a double layer tube (like the neck of a turtleneck, which I have also used instead of making a waistband!)
8.  Last step!  Line the raw edges of the waistband up with the raw edges of the pants, placing the seam in the back.  Pin in place and sew around. 

And you have little yoga pants!!!

 They make great playtime pants!  If you try this and have any questions let me know! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! That is so stinkin' cute! Seriously - you are wicked talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success.. best yoga pants

    ReplyDelete